Serbia’s gay activists will hold an indoor gay pride gathering this weekend after authorities in Belgrade banned the march for the second year in a row, fearing a repeat of the violence at last year?s event.
The Associated Press reports:
Serbia’s gay activists said Thursday they plan to hold an indoor gathering this weekend after authorities banned a pride march for the second year in a row because of threats from right-wing groups.
Goran Miletic, one of the organizers, accused Serbia’s new, nationalist-led government of lacking the political will to protect the event despite its proclaimed pro-EU policies. He said the country’s embattled gay community will insist on holding the march next year.
“Pride is not a circus that will leave this city,” he said. “We are staying here, this is where we live.”
Police said Wednesday they feared a repeat of violence from 2010 when far-right groups attacked a pride march, triggering day-long clashes that left more than 100 people injured.
Read the full article via THE CALGARY HERALD