Serbian police is considering banning the annual gay Pride Parade for a second consecutive year, if security risks are high
Authorities in Serbia are considering banning a gay rights parade and all other public gatherings in Belgrade this weekend, fearing a repeat of violent scenes two years ago when ultranationalists tried to disrupt a similar event.
Prime Minister Ivica Dacic, who also serves as interior minister, said on Monday the planned parade – whose purpose it to call for better and more gay rights in the predominantly Serbian Orthodox Christian society – was a major security risk.
“So far we have received only partial security assessments and we may ban the parade if it proves a high-risk gathering,” he told reporters.
One of the organizers of the gay Pride Parade, Goran Miletić, expects that the manifestation will be held on October 6 in Belgrade.
However, the Pride Parade organizers still have not received a permission from the authorities to hold the parade.
“So far we have not heard the information that the Pride will not be held. The walk is planned for next Saturday and I hope that it will be held,” Miletić told B92.
He stressed that the organizers were in constant contact with the police.
“We have good relations with the police, we are having intensive talks about security but those are technical issues. Two persons are in charge of security in our country. They are Prime Minister Ivica Dačić and Deputy Prime Minister Aleksandar Vučić who is a coordinator of security services. They have to ensure our safety,“ Miletić said and added that he expected the new government to have a different position on the Pride Parade.
Read the full article via B92