BOSTON, MA–(Marketwire – May 23, 2012) – In June, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Pride Month will be celebrated in the United States and around the world. The LGBT movement has made a lot of progress since the Stonewall riots in 1969, in particular where gay marriage is concerned. Many countries and U.S. states have legalized gay marriage and, in honor of this time of year, the team at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, has created a list of Top 10 Gay Wedding Destinations.
Here are five cities in North and South America to make our list of top wedding destinations from around the world where gay couples can choose to celebrate their love and commitment in style and have it officially recognized as well.
- Washington, DC, USA – Although gay marriage was only first legalized in D.C. on December 18, 2009, America’s capital has long possessed a large LGBT population. As such, America’s capital has no dearth of gay-friendly neighborhoods and hotels for your wedding festivities. Imagine a rooftop reception with panoramic views of the city — you and your beloved a part of the history of America beginning to make good on its promise of “equality and justice for all.”
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada – Since Paris has yet to legalize gay marriage, Montreal is the next best thing. With beautiful parks, fantastic cuisine, a raucous nightlife and an unrivaled atmosphere of convivialité, Montreal is a perfect place to say, “I do.” In fact, it’s so charming you might even want to stay on for your honeymoon. Plus, the city’s close proximity to Mont Tremblant is an added bonus if you’d like to get away for skiing in the winter or exploring of the great outdoors in summer months.
- Provincetown, Massachusetts, USA – Provincetown is the Fire Island of Massachusetts. With quaint bed and breakfasts dotting the coastal town’s narrow lanes, fantastic restaurants and gay nightlife, “P-town” is a must-visit destination year-round. Add in gorgeous beaches and a vibe of utter acceptance, and Provincetown climbs the ranks among the best gay wedding destinations in the world.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina – Home of hip Latin beats and carnival merrymaking, Buenos Aires is a bustling city that combines a modern skyline with the ornate architecture of the past. With a great deal of flair and style to be found on almost every corner, a culture that imbues even the mundane with great passion, and no shortage of great clubs and restaurants, your guests will not soon forget your “I do” in Buenos Aires.
- New York City, New York, USA – “Finally!” many thought when the great state of New York legalized gay marriage in July 2011. What better destination can you imagine for getting married and celebrating afterward? Imagine being high atop the city that never sleeps in any number of marvelous hotels, toasting your husband or wife and family? And when it’s time to boogey down and celebrate, you’ve got the entire Big Apple to roam about in. (And with the New York subway, guests needn’t fret about driving and transportation after a few glasses of bubbly!)
For those looking to add some European flair to their “I do’s,” here are five destinations from our list where gay couples can go to celebrate and proclaim their love: Amsterdam, Netherlands; Madrid, Spain; Stockholm, Sweden; Reykjavík, Iceland; and Oslo, Norway. To read more details on these destinations and the complete list of Cheapflights.com’s Top 10 Gay Destinations, visit http://news.cheapflights.com/top-10-gay-wedding-destinations.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry’s best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.com. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.